No Com ports when NMEA is enabled

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

Rodan

No Com ports when NMEA is enabled

Postby Rodan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:14 am

When I go to set up and then to Options I enable the NMEA out put when I click on the Com choice the space just turns red with no choices. Where is my problem? My Condor is version 1.1.5 Does anyone know if I am having a computer problem or a software problem? Any ideas? With out this I will not be able to "fly" with my personal soaring Nav system, which is the main reason I want to use Condor. I run a Nook with TopHat Soaring. Should work if I could get some Com for data output. Thanks Rodan

OXO
Condor Team

Re: No Com ports when NMEA is enabled

Postby OXO » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:16 am

Does you PC have a com port? Many do not thes days, so it's necessary to buy a USB to comport adapter.
OXO,
Condor Team
Official facebook page

VST

Postby VST » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Use VSPE to create virtual serial ports first, then start condor, and you'll see your new ports in the list.

In VSPE you have to connect two ports together, one for condor and one for whatever you use to connect to tophat.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Postby EDB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

VSPE is payware for 64bit machines now. If that is a problem, there are other options. Search the forum.

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Hum,

VSPE is free for 32 bit and this version works on 64 bits PC (W7).

my two pence
*****- Xavier - (XDL * F-DELX) -*****

VST

Postby VST » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 pm

EDB wrote:VSPE is payware for 64bit machines now. If that is a problem, there are other options. Search the forum.

Works just fine if you just press cancel in the startup nag dialog.

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Can someone tell me what problem this is solving?
OXO,
Condor Team
Official facebook page

wickid

Postby wickid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:03 pm

VSPE acts like a virtual comport enabling you to sent the NMEA data to software on your computer or further via USB
PH-2729, WS

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Oxo

VSPE is use to split the Condor NMEA output in order to use different kind of other software or hardware working simultaneously altogether.
With VSPE, on your PC you can get while flying Condor: Free instruments, LK800, Condor HUD, or CondorNAV, etc... You can also transfer this output on an other computer via your network or in WiFi to your smartphone, your I Pad etc...and alos use Cunimb, or google Earth and have a look of your position when your are flying Condor...

It up to you when you master VSPE!

Good flight
Last edited by Xavier on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*****- Xavier - (XDL * F-DELX) -*****

timbaeyens

Postby timbaeyens » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 pm

I use VSPE and condor2nav, such I have the task on xcsoar on a second a 17" 1440x1080 screen

Rodan

Postby Rodan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:38 am

All this advice for VSPE sounds like it has real potential to work. Obviously; from y'all's experience. I will probably employ the mind and knowledge of my favorite computer guru to see if we can get this to work. I am sorta computer "igornant". Thanks, Rodan

Rodan

Postby Rodan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:42 am

Thanks for all the advice for VSPE. Sounds from y'all's experience this could be the way to get my Nook with TopHat to work along with Condor. I will employ my favorite computer guru to help make this happen. I am relatively computer "igornant". Rodan

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 am

VSPE is great if you're running the software on your PC. But I dont see how this helps Rodan, who wants to connect his nook. He needs an actual serial port, not a virtual one. Thats what oxo probably meant by "what problem is (VPSE) solving?". Not Rodan's problem.

I dont know how to do that with his tablet, or if its even possible. Im glancing over this:
http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Nook%20cab ... ctors.html

And it looks like the nook comes with a box with a serial port? IF you want to connect condor to that, your PC will need a serial port and you probably need to buy a USB to serial adapter.
Last edited by janjansen on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am

The answer is on their website, bottom page here:
http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Nook%20Hos ... ables.html

If you dont want to use the "box" you can connect the nook "directly" to your PC running condor by using 2 usb to serial adapters, a null modem adapter and a OTG cable. Thats ugly, but hey, if it works, it works.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Postby EDB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

The Nook has WiFi...
No cables needed. USB cables with virtual com ports tend to be unsuported by new OS"s more and more. Wireles UDP works great.

Return to “General”