nvidia inspector settings

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

keithmt

nvidia inspector settings

Postby keithmt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi all Can anyone supply the best NVidia inspector profile / settings for Condor ? I have been experimenting trying to eliminate the shimmering, using Condor settings as well. I have some improvements but lines are still not crisp all the time. Looking at buildings (condorworld) as well as occasional areas of condor original scenery here. thanks.

keithmt

Re: nvidia inspector settings

Postby keithmt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 pm

I should add the system: i7 / NVidia GTX 970 / w10

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 pm

I dont use nvidia right now, so I cant help directly, but I dont recall I ever needed to tweak anything in the drivers/inspector settings even when I did. However, the shimmering you mention sounds like anti aliasing not working, and you should be aware that AA (possibly AF) doesnt work when you run condor in fullscreen emulation. It should work in fullscreen mode (but that has other and bigger potential problems, like crashing when you alt+tab).

If this is indeed your problem, and you dont want to run it in full screen mode, you could try using a directx wrapper called dgvoodoo:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16821#p149688

It has some options, including to force AA (and vsync) which also works in fullscreen emulation mode. added benefit, you can enable much higher resolutions than condor/directx7 can otherwise, should you have a monitor with >1080p resolution.

keithmt

Postby keithmt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 am

Thanks for the quick response, I was not aware of the restriction on AA in emulation mode. Unfortunately when I tried full screen to get around it, I got an error, screen switching not allowed. As you say, problems here which I have yet to solve. This was directly on accessing the program, I was not using alt+tab.

So instead I followed your link to the voodoo site (http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html) and downloaded v2.53, assuming initially at least I do not need the optional programs D3DCompiler_47  , 3DfxSplashDlls.zip  , or D3DRM.zip  , could you confirm this is correct?

I then dropped the (3) MS and (1) .exe files into my Condor folder, assuming its a "directx" not a "glide "game, (I am no techie) , applied the "\" button, then simply ran Condor to see what happens - a big improvement straight away, without knowing the settings at all!

Is there a help guide anywhere - the settings are all greek to me - there does not seem to be anything on the voodoo site.

Finally the original problem involved shimmering gauges / ipac as well, which I got around by zooming in a bit. With voodoo it all looks great without any zoom, again straight off the bat. Presumably this is mostly down to AA as well?

So the fix is looking great so far, thank you kindly for this.

keithmt

Postby keithmt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:48 am

PS condor with voodoo again works with emulation and windowed mode, not full screen, perhaps this is down to my pc, I have a second screen attached which may confuse the loading.

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:11 am

I dont know why it doesnt work with fullscreen, but if dgvoodoo works, there is no point anymore in using "fullscreen", "fullscreen emulation" will work better anyway.

As for the dgvoodoo settings, the ones that matter are in the directx tab. Set VRAM high enough, I have it at 2048 (if that option isnt in the drop down list, just type in the value and press enter). It will not matter for the stock scenery, but in photorealistic sceneries like Arc Alpin, you will need it. Some of these sceneries may still crash, if so google for "condor texture reduction tool"

Increasing MSAA will improve quality of lines (less jagged lines). Particularly noticeable when using external camera and looking at your glider (or another glider).

Lastly, forcing vsync may help when you get image tearing while looking around (trackir particularly). Although I think in full screen emulation, its always on anyway, I could be wrong. The rest doesnt really matter.

Paul_UK

Postby Paul_UK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Here are the settings I use. I have an i7 930 (quite old) but running at 4.2GHz and a GTX780 GPU. Can't say I notice any shimmering etc with these settings.

Bronze by Spring......I hope!
Bronze C completed 3-4-2017 - Hoping worked :mrgreen:

keithmt

Postby keithmt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am

Thank you gents,

After a bit of experimentation I now have settings which are about perfect at my Benq refresh rate (60), full screen emulation and 2560 x 1440. The pilots hat and a tiny area of the tail plane flicker in the chase view and that's it. The condor world stuff looks great.

Perhaps voodoo can make a difference with FSX(SE / boxed) being an "old" game ? But that's another forum.

cheers,

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

FSX isnt that old (compared to condor), it uses DirectX10, so dgvoodoo will be of no use. dgvoodoo is really only useful for retro games that use directX 7 or earlier (like condor), or 3DFX voodoo glide API - You probably never heard of the latter, 3DFX used to make videocards called Voodoo, before nvidia and ATI (now AMD) took over the market. Think 1990's. The app is meant for games of that era, to make them work with modern videocards and drivers.

Return to “General”