COM port baud rate / UDP

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

janjansen

COM port baud rate / UDP

Postby janjansen » Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Im testing an openvario computer (flight computer for xcsoar) with condor, before it gets installed in a glider. I got it working using 2 USB to serial adapters, but condor seems hardcoded at 4800 baud. Thats arguably fast enough for GPS data, but I also want to simulate the vario, and for that, its way too slow.

Is there anyway to increase the baudrate on condor's side?

ALternatively, xcsoar seems to support UDP over ethernet, as does condor for some external instruments. So I plugged in a network cable, put the IP address of the openvario machine in condor's UDP.ini, but I cant seem to get this working. Some googling suggests this doesnt work, as condor would use a proprietary protocol? I found some people using condor's serial NMEA output, and pipe that over a network connection, but then you're stuck again at 4800 baud, so that doesnt help.

Is this possible somehow?

edit: I tried running xcsoar on the same PC, and I got as far as seeing data when I monitor the UDP port:

But xcsoar doesnt seem to recognize this format, and insists there is "no data":

Capricorne

Re: COM port baud rate / UDP

Postby Capricorne » Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi not sure I understand your problem, but I don't do it like you (sorry for my poor english)
I don't put the IP of my PC runing XCSoar in UDP.ini , but use a virtual port with VSPE for this:
YOU should be able to find detailed info about virtual port in the forum.
My XCSoar setting is like This:
and Data received by XCSoar look like this
Note: It is possible to also send these infos to my androïd phone in Wifi , just have to change the IP ..:

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Sun May 21, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks, but the moment you use Condor's NMEA serial port output, you are stuck at 4800 baud. Even if you pipe it over a much faster wifi/ethernet connection afterwards. So, that doesnt really help me.

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Sun May 21, 2017 9:13 am

Sorry, I still not understand why you think it's not fast enough... :?:
You get the exact same value as in Condor with more choice, since you can select the way you integer the value of the vario
"netto" is instant value and TC30 is for average fo the last 30"..I just miss a TC5.... :wink: ,

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Sun May 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Condor serial port output achieves about 1 update per second. Thats just not fast enough to simulate a vario. Try thermalling with only the xcsoar vario... The openvario flight computer has builtin pressure sensors, and when using those (so in actual flight), it updates ~20Hz, which is smooth enough. But 1 Hz isnt, its not (nearly) enough to tweak its response settings and audio settings.

Now condor supports an UDP protocol for external instruments, for cockpit builders and the like, and Im sure it updates much faster than once per second. But I cant get it working with xcsoar, although it looks like xcsoar should support it.

tom eagles

Postby tom eagles » Mon May 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Not sure why you need a faster baud rate

Lets assume for example in a "perfect" thermal you are circling in 5 m/s lift and travelling at 110 kmh your vario would read 5 m/s over the distance of a whole 0.030 m.

Now even factoring in that thermals are never perfect and you are trying to center it you are still getting that input for every 0.030 m travelled which as far as I can tell is more than sensitive enough.

For a vario to be that far off you would have to be travelling at insane speeds so that the refresh would be to slow, There is no way as far as I can see (and correct me if i am wrong) that you would see such a drastic change in lift in 1 second to throw the values out.

Plus the 20 hz you mention is a reading as you said from the sensors on board the comp vario which is totally different to a signal being sent via a port.

janjansen

Postby janjansen » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Sigh.
I have no need to be convinced I only need 1hz instruments. I have a need to find out if I can increase the data rate or use condor's UDP protocol with xcsoar. I know what its like when testing and trying to configure a vario, particularly an acoustic vario which modulates the sound not only on vertical speed, but also on the derivative, ie, the speed at which the vertical speed changes. Try configuring that with 1 sample per second.
But never mind, I'll go ask in xcsoar forum.

Return to “General”