CONDOR

The Competition Soaring Simulator
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 am 

Hi Everyone

Has anyone had any experience with either Sol7 or Nthusim? They are both software packages that can be used to warp an image so it can be projected onto an irregular surface (eg a screen curved around the pilot).

Apparently the software works with any openGL or direct3d application, and it does seem to work with all other games I try (including Silent Wings) but not Condor.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on? If this doesn't work it will significantly change the design of the whole Sim trailer, or I'll have to use Silent Wings, which I am really not keen on :-(

Thanks

Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am 

Aussie> Hi there, thanks for the reminder, as you might have noticed we discussed these kind of surround projection techniques many years ago. The famous 360° panoramatic-quake tweak was released with code like a decade ago, the more advanced dome projection image related technigues developed by australian researcher Bourke, were also discussed. Despite almost all info available (including maths/code) this approach has been ignored by both users/developers for years, how sad when this is clearly the most valuable sim add on feature since the advance of networking technology! We hoped this surround projection could develop into opensource project, but almost nobody was interested. Now, it's working at least as payware from your above mentioned sources and it rocks on major sims like FSX, Rfactor. Moreover, the ATI Eyefinity (sw triplehead capability) is now available even on cheaper cards ala HD5670/5770 with no additional charge, LCD panel prices are low enough so hopefully people will get interested in these kind of desktop setups - without paying Matrox for their Triplehead standalone box, and consequently demand more - the real thing, i.e. projector based system with software warping for dome/half-sphere/simple cylindrical-curved screens be it only used with one projector.

Specifically speaking about Condor, the issue here is that this is DX7 game engine, and this image warp/wraping technology is obviously geared towards younger revisions DX9 (10/11) for contemporary and future sim titles. I gather you also contacted Nthusim devs over their forums as to whether they will look into DX7 support for Condor. From their angle this is obviously not very perspective venue, as there are very few popular DX7 titles around these days for the extra work. Also, there is the issue of max resolution for DX7, which is roughly 2048 wide, if I'm not mistaken, so perhaps not very suitable for 3x projectors, but more like "dual head" suitable setups, e.g. 2x (1024x576) = widescreen 2048x576 for cylindrical image wrap, fits small rooms too, lol..

Possibly the only other DX7 title worth mentioning and still in progress project is the great EECH simulator: http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.p ... =Main_Page
Community/forum: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u ... =13&page=1

However, in any case, I'd suggest we can at least try lobby over there for our DX7 support cause based on showing up some top tweaks packages like CZ/SK/FR-Provence2 HD sceneries, HD clouds, LK8000 flight nav, FCIS gauges, simpits etc, plus mentioning EECH. Simply to demonstrate that Condor/DX7 is very much "alive platform" with int. fan base still working hard on cool stuff and it deserves surround projection support..

Projection setup examples (pic/videos): http://nthusim.com/setups
How-to setup single projection downloadable demo (10min limit): http://nthusim.com/wiki/single-head-warping-tutorial
You are all invited to chip in here: http://nthusim.com/forum-topic/nthusim- ... liding-sim

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 am 

Hi there

Since posting, I have talked to the Sol7/Nthusim boys a couple of times. They have been extremely helpful, and pointed out, as you have, that DirectX7 is the problem. However getting compatibility working all the way back to Directx7 is too big a task for not a lot of gain from their point of view, and I can understand where they are coming from, so I wouldn't expect it.

Also, I have to get a move on and don't really have time to wait and see if directx7 will become supported.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with a new design!

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 am 

Hm, Nthusim has been supposedly supporting DX7 for quite some time, per our prior user request, how kind of them. I thought that such news would be welcomed here, instead I just bumped into it on accident. The single projector license is still not entirely free, but for the bang not that expensive either.. Even the single projection setup bounced of the warped mirror onto semi sphere ala Bourke should be cool. Point to note, mind you Nthusim doesn't offer edge blending at the moment, if not mistaken, not sure wheather it's a regular update issue or some licensing/commercial ver. proprietary feature.

http://nthusim.com/newsletter/nthusim-release-22151

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 pm 

Yep, Nthusim now works with Condor, which is great news. Unfortunately for me, I had design my latest simulator around the fact that it didn't work at the time, and it would now be difficult and unnecessary to integrate it.

However I'll definitely keep it in mind for future developments. Condor on a giant curved screen would be excellent!