two or three projectors

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

Schapmande13

two or three projectors

Postby Schapmande13 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi,
I am planning on building a simulator at my club and just wondered what peoples thoughts were about how many projectors worked best. My thoughts are that condor only produces an output that is 1440 x 900 maximum and this should easily fit on two projector screens. Is there any way to get a wider field of view if you use more projectors?

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Schapmande13

Re: two or three projectors

Postby Schapmande13 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Also does anyone know if there is a way to remove the cockpit from the screen when in the 'cockpit view' I have messed round with the different views and cant seem to get one that would work well as a projected image. the cockpit view is ideal but as we are going to be using a real cockpit with instruments you don't really want the cockpit projected on the screen aswell!

Tima (TSD)

Postby Tima (TSD) » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Schapmande13 wrote:Also does anyone know if there is a way to remove the cockpit from the screen when in the 'cockpit view' ...

As far as i remember this is Ctrl+F1.

michaeljc64

Postby michaeljc64 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 am

Hi Steve. Ctrl-F1 toggles the cock-pit off and on.

3 projectors better than 2. Combined with a Matrox TripleHead2Go box of tricks.(around £250 e-bay) This gives a wide angle peripheral view. You no longer get just the centre view, the right and left projectors give you side view. Not quite able to see wing-tips but enough to enable good circuit planning. See my Youtube video for a demo. Type in "BMGC Sim 3 screens" and you can see the 3 screens in action. Please excuse the not -completed screens at the time (now finished)!!! I think I have the resolution in the Graphics in Condor set to "Windowed" 1600 x 600 x32. This gives the best picture, combined with the working Free Condor Instruments. cheers Mike (Black Mountains Gliding Club, Talgarth, UK)

downhill

Postby downhill » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:21 am

Hi Steve,

which version of Windows are you running with your triple projectors? We have the Matrox box but I am unhappy with the result compared with the other gliding sim software we are trialling.

Regards,

Richard, GCV Benalla, Au

michaeljc64

Postby michaeljc64 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Richard

I am using Windows XP Home, . I initially was using a ATI Radeon graphic card and it worked well with the TripleHead2Go but the computer we have is old and needed upgrading . So I changed motherboard to enable more memory but the ATI card was AGP and so I had to get a different graphics card - Nvidia8500gt. Not so happy with this as resolutions different. Still gives me 3 screens but takes a lot of tweaking to get a result. Have a look at my Youtube video "BMGC landing over gap in Hedge" for a view

cheers

Mike

yveswouters

Postby yveswouters » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 am

when using projectors try to find some old projection screens (garagesale or ebay),this looks/works better than a piece of cloth fixed into a frame. :idea:

muzna21

Postby muzna21 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am

Any one sell old projectors ..i am searching eBay but not found

DC

Postby DC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 pm

For building a screen, use "Blackout Cloth". Any fabric store will sell it and it can be stretched to fit the frame. I have built many screens using this fabric and use them for home theatre and the results are stunning. Make sure you get the one that has a light grey tint to it. This will help bring out the black levels.
ImageImage

Peet

Postby Peet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 am

I have three equal sanyo 3 lcd 1024x768 projectors. The lamps are broken. For the rest they are ok as far as i know. If you're interested then make me a interesting offer ;-)

Return to “Cockpit Builders”