How to start flying without a mouse

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

pearson320

How to start flying without a mouse

Postby pearson320 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Just got my cockpit sim sorted over xmas.

Now have a reasonable system with force feedback joystick and rudder in a plywood cockpit modelled from an Astir. Just using the TV for a screen at this stage so more work needed to get either a heads up visor or 3 monitors.

Hassle though is that I can't find anyway to map the "Ready for Takeoff" etc to anything in the cockpit so do I have to resort to bringing a mouse into the cockpit environment or is there a way to do this with a physical button on the joystick. I managed to remap the ESC key but can't move the mouse pointer or click the start command. Is there some sort of scripting interface that I need to setup perhaps?

I'm also struggling with takeoff on the sim, even with a ASK13. If I detune the controls so the glider is controllable behind the tug it is way too sluggish for normal flying. I'm not an experienced pilot by any means but I have had seriously experienced pilots try the takeoff with similar struggles. Maybe I should make the control settings more radically non-linear? Anyone have any tips on how to tune the system up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

staylo

Re: How to start flying without a mouse

Postby staylo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I suspect a third party automation scripting application would be needed to press ESC and then trigger the mouse click at the appropriate location when the joystick button is pressed. AutoHotkey is well suited to this, but I'm afraid it's not too user friendly if you're unfamiliar with programming.

Because Condor is based on Direct X 7, there's a resolution limitation for monitor setups which makes a single large monitor a better option than three monitors.

For joystick input I don't think there's any need to deviate from a linear setup. I believe there's a parameter which can introduce a lag between joystick inputs and the movement of control surfaces on the simulated aircraft - read the manual or forum carefully.

And just in case: Flight school is currently unusable (v1.14), it triggers very high sink rate and other unusual behaviour.

pearson320

Re: How to start flying without a mouse

Postby pearson320 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for the tip with AutoHotkey, I'll give that a try.

You might be right about the setting related to control lag. The label is 'Stick Force Simulation' and I thought this refered to the amount of force feedback employed. Since my joystick is tilted to try and emulate the astir configuration the joystick motors can't centre the stick unassisted so I must have increased this setting as part of the trial and error process, not realising it was for a completely different purpose and has probably been causing the control problems all along.

Anyone tried the Wrap 1200 VR visor http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html ?
Looks like it might be an interesting alternatvie to a large screen display and head tracking.

Return to “Cockpit Builders”