gear up/down

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

stickybeatz

gear up/down

Postby stickybeatz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Is there any way to bind gear up and gear down to separate inputs? I'm starting on my cockpit build and just realized that the only option right now is a toggle unless I'm missing something...

sisu1a

Re: gear up/down

Postby sisu1a » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 pm

My solution (as yet to be implemented) is to incorporate a momentary switch on the landing gear lever mechanism, in such a manor that would be 'bumped' at/near the ends of the travel of the mechanism. In this case the switch would be on the mechanism itself, and have two fixed points that contact it along it's travel, one for open and one for closed. I hacked a logitech joystick for my rudder pedals, and so far only use one of it's many microswitches, for the tow release knob which in my pit is a yellow ball on the column. It is attached to a cable and part of a bike v-brake component, and hits the momentary switch at the end of it's travel. In that the release the button is fixed and the lever hits it to make it work. Works like a champ, and pretty much feels just like a real release mechanism... Glad to see a post in the cockpit builder's section though... I really need to do some update posting here.

-p

stickybeatz

Postby stickybeatz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking the same thing. The only issue is that the gear level can become reversed if the sim is started with the lever in the up position. Does anyone know if the UDP stream has any information regarding the current position of the gear? If so, maybe I could write a script that is fired off at each end of the gear lever travel which determines the position of the gear and decides whether to toggle the gear up/down input. I ordered one of these to use for the tow release. I'll let you know how it works out!

sisu1a

Postby sisu1a » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Valid point, for which my non elegant solution for this is to leave the button accessible in case I need to toggle it to the correct position in case of such a mixup. There is probably a way to script up some kind of hotkey deal that allows two different switches to be the same function, but this wouldn't change much other than being able to leave the switches stationary and somewhat simplifying the mechanical arrangement. Part of the Condor experience for me, is to help remember things like gear position (my glider has retractable gear), so I don't want to make it too user friendly to bonehead it :wink:

As to the UDP gear position information, it must be contained in there somewhere, but I'm more hardware than software oriented so it seems like way more work to me because I would be building basically the same lever mechanism either way, and hacking on a few microswitches that I'm already plug-n-play wired for is a no-brainer. Whatever solution you come up with, post here about it!

-p

stickybeatz

Postby stickybeatz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 pm

sisu1a wrote:Part of the Condor experience for me, is to help remember things like gear position

This is an excellent point that I had not considered!

Return to “Cockpit Builders”