Linear Variable Differential Transformer

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

michaeljc64

Linear Variable Differential Transformer

Postby michaeljc64 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 am

Hi. Does anyone know where I can get a linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) ? Its so that I can attach them to the real controls for a glider sim ? I need one for Pitch and one for Aileron. Both connected to a USB lead ?

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Linear Variable Differential Transformer

Postby OXO » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 am

uk.farnell.com

..but LVDTs are not cheap!
OXO,
Condor Team

michaeljc64

Postby michaeljc64 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks Steve. I didn't realise they were so expensive. So will probably use a "pot" instead. I am currently waiting for a "Blanik" two seat cockpit to convert to a sim. I built a two seat sim , (Black Mountains Gliding Club) but used a Joystick and control rod for rear seat. I have been involved in the BGA sim rebuild and that uses two LVDT for pitch and aileron. Just wondering really whats the best way to get it linked up ?

michaeljc64

Postby michaeljc64 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Sorry , i meant Chris

lg

Postby lg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 pm

We are going to use http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/A1302.pdf together with Magnets from a damaged hard-drive in our simulator cockpit. Much cheaper than LVDT and no mechanical wear.

sisu1a

Postby sisu1a » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Here is a turorial I made for making homemade sealed Hall pots for cheap (~$5 each). Put away the hard drive parts and build something befitting of an aircraft...

http://imgur.com/a/WkQtw

Leo's boards are fine and dandy, but you can do better (particularly with Condor) by gutting a Thrustmaster T16000 ($40). It's 16bit (Leo's is 10), has enough inputs to control every function of Condor, but more importantly is able to be controlled by TARGET, Thrustmaster's kickass software for programming a few of their nicer products (Warthog, Cougar). With TARGET, you can program an analog axis to output digital events, and this is key for Condor. The flaps never got anything more then +/- to raise/lower them. This will leave you with either lame solutions (still pushing buttons) or complicated ones (mechanical thingy to push correct buttons during lever travel) or an easy one like you can easily do with TARGET. An axis is simply programmed to generate the correct number of '+' pulses one direction, and the correct number of '-' pulses the other.

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm

michaeljc64 wrote:Thanks Steve. I didn't realise they were so expensive. So will probably use a "pot" instead. I am currently waiting for a "Blanik" two seat cockpit to convert to a sim. I built a two seat sim , (Black Mountains Gliding Club) but used a Joystick and control rod for rear seat. I have been involved in the BGA sim rebuild and that uses two LVDT for pitch and aileron. Just wondering really whats the best way to get it linked up ?

Other options are plastic track pots, which would be more reliable.

- rotary encoder, but would need a d-a converter.

- string pot
OXO,
Condor Team

Return to “Cockpit Builders”