Cape Gliding Club simulator

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

johanp

Cape Gliding Club simulator

Postby johanp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi!

At my local gliding club, we just started last week to convert a wrecked ASW-15 fuselage into a simulator, for use in training as well as exposing people to the sport.

Attached is a photo of what it looked like the other night after we cut off the tail. Last night we removed the Tost hooks (those are still worth good money), and broke out the bulkhead at the back so we could remove the control rods. This will allow space for the computer to go (and speakers if we need them).

I've been struggling with what screen to buy (we'll go multi-screen later). At first I wanted to get a 32" or larger TV screen and mount it on top of the fuselage line (outside the cockpit). But then I realized that this would put the simulated horizon too high, and this will possibly mess with students when they go fly for real.

Still under consideration, but for now good progress!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johanp

Re: Cape Gliding Club simulator

Postby johanp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Oh I didn't mention - you can see the nose is pretty banged up (the pilot outlanded in a quarry some years ago - he walked away, the plane didn't). Next on our list of priorities is cosmetic repairs to the fibreglass.

Return to “Cockpit Builders”