Aero Soaring System - 165 euro simpit without a hull

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

Hoox

Aero Soaring System - 165 euro simpit without a hull

Postby Hoox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Update: new pics made at local hobby fair

And hence the name Aero Soaring Simulator ;)

One of my instructors tested it and was pleasantly surprised

Update:Project is as good as finished. Some features will be added in the future but I probably won't post about it. I hope this design is clearly enough explained to be able to build it yourself. If you have specific questions about the construction feel free to contact me.

VIDEOS!!: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E3D4939BA108A901

Story: Me and a friend from my gliding club started a simpit building project. At first the idea was to build a glider like rudder system. Together with a normal joystick this would provide a good flying experience we thought. We started drawing ideas and soon we came up with an over the top design. I made a google sketchup rendering of it (sketchup is free and easy to learn, a must for all you builders, one can easily spot problems early in the project and one can estimate material use very accurate).

rendering of our project (youtube)
sketchup 3D model (you need sketchup to see this)

After creating the 3D model we decided to build the whole thing. We ordered the materials at a local hardware store (they pre cut most of it for us), we got a car seat and the usb controller by leo bodnar. We started welding the frame, we build the rudder pedals and part of the stick contruction using ball-bearings. After that the work laid still for some months. Yesterday we started on the project again. We got much needed help from some of the guys of our gliding club. One of them made a remark on the brand of the car seat (ASS) and soon the name Aero Soaring System was born ;) Here are some photos:

The controls work incredably well. They feel solid and operate very light. We got some extra features that were not in the design like adjustable rudder pedals and lockable airbrakes.

We were also busy to incorporate a monitor for the instruments using Free Condor Instruments, this program totally rocks! Besides that we have been testing with Free Track.

All we needed to do now was to place potmeters and the controller, use the correct springloads to center the controls and paint the thing. This work was done last week. I used standard network cable to solder the potmers to the controller. Cables were secured using tie-ribs. Some bolts were secured using locktight. The sim is now operational and it works like it should after calibrating in the windows control panel and reversing the rudder potmeter with Leo Bodnars config tool. Thumbs up for his controller and to the Free Condor Instruments software!!! We tested with head tracking but found it to be more of an hassle than usefull.

Features
- Condor projected with beamer
- Instruments on external 15'' TFT using Free Condor Instruments
- Compact easy to transport (and idiot proof) frame
- Dismountable and fully adjustable car seat
- BU0836 controller, whole sim is connected with 1 usb cable.
- Smooth and self-centering Rudder, Aileron and Elevator controls
- Airbrake controls with lock and wheel brake switch
- release switch

Possible Improvements
- Elevator max travel stops.
- Potmeter protection (they are quite vulnerable)
- Trim using sliding potmeter
- Gear lever
- Panel cover over 15'' monitor with all freq. used buttons mounted on it

Estimated Costs: 165 euros
metal rods: 50 euros
ball bearings: 15 euros
car seat: 15 euros
controller: 25 euros
potmeters: 20 euros
rod stops (?): 20 euros
other expenditures: 20 euros

Flying in condor will never be the same, priceless ;)

Photos of details

The clamp below the stick is temporarily used to limit stick movement.

Release system using switch that was laying around and kitchen door knob painted yellow

rudder system from top

rudder system from bottom, shows the lever to the potmer. we had to glue this one to the pot to get steady movement

Aileron potmeter. A knop on top connected with thick wire to the side.

Airbrake potmeter

Wheelbrake off

Wheelbrake on

Using std network cable connection the rudder system is dismountable

Housing for the controller
Last edited by Hoox on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 13 times in total.
A Hoekstra
Member of the Friese Aero CLub from the Netherlands. Simulator enthousiast

pckormic

Postby pckormic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:35 pm

I´m really impressed with your project.

It seems to be easy and cheap to build , and the pilot position seems to be very near to a RL glider.

I´m very interested in you project.

¡Keep us informed, please! :lol:

Goodbye and goood flights

klimrmad

Postby klimrmad » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 am

like it ;) but isn't this frame too high?

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:19 pm

We have made brackets for the potmeters and painted the frame yesterday. Sunday we will install the potmeters and wireing. I will make photos of it.

The frame indeed looks high, we thought the same thing on seeing the 3d model we made. If you see it in real life it doesnt look too high. The frame itself is 35cm high, high enough to put under a desk and still be able to look at the screen.
A Hoekstra

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:23 am

DONE!! All work has been completed. My friend has placed the potmeter construction and delivered the frame to my house. I soldered everything to the chip using network cable i had plenty of.

After calibrating we have got perfectly working (self centering) controls. Ailerons Elevator and Rudder work very well using right amount of spring tension now. The airbrakes work with lock and wheelbrake switch at the end of the lever travel. Using an old switch we also made a release mechanism :)

Tomorrow we will bring the ASS to our gliding club where we can use the beamer. I will take my camera with me and will post pictures tomorrow evening. Keep posted!
Last edited by Hoox on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Hoekstra

WB

Postby WB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Heb jij freetrack goed werkend gekregen? Ik heb er een tijdje geleden wat mee geprobeerd, maar weer aan de kant geschoven toen het niks werd. Op de site staat wat met infrarood led's en fotopapier, dat nog niet geprobeerd. Weet jij of dat (goed) werkt, en hoeveel dat moet kosten?

Groet, WB

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:48 pm

WB wrote:Heb jij freetrack goed werkend gekregen? Ik heb er een tijdje geleden wat mee geprobeerd, maar weer aan de kant geschoven toen het niks werd. Op de site staat wat met infrarood led's en fotopapier, dat nog niet geprobeerd. Weet jij of dat (goed) werkt, en hoeveel dat moet kosten?

Groet, WB

Freetrack werkt heel goed. Een hoop knutselwerk maar met 30 euro ben je klaar. Probleem is als freetrack geen positie kan bepalen (als je je hoofd teveel draait bijvoorbeeld) dan crasht hij. Als je serieus plannen hebt om het te bouwen PM je me maar. In de praktijk is het best een gedoe en de toegevoegde waarde is niet heel erg groot.
A Hoekstra

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:49 pm

--
Last edited by Hoox on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Hoekstra

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:28 am

I have posted more pics in the first post and moved some info in my replies to the first post to keep things more easy to read.
A Hoekstra

Hoox

Postby Hoox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm

I posted 4 new pictures.
A Hoekstra

HKN

Postby HKN » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:42 pm

I like this project. There are many good ideas, for those who do not have the option of using a real cockpit. Well done!

-Henning

driedekker

Postby driedekker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:36 pm

nice one must build one myself

Jip

Postby Jip » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm

All I can say is that this is a great project.
Sitting on/in it gives almost the same feeling as sitting in a real LS4. Advantage is that you can customize everything needed, the pedals, backrest, etc.
Having a real cockpit only adds to the 'visual' aspect, but having this one is enough for a realistic feeling.

Having this sim chair, a TrackIR and one of these VR glasses, and it would 'feel' almost real :)
(Let's hope that Condor will soon add Roll,X,Y,Z support for TrackIR in addition to only Yaw and Pitch, otherwise we might try to do this as addon if possible!)

[Dutch]
Mooi, leuk die extra foto's van de Hobby beurs, met de simulator en de MC op de achtergrond opgehangen...

[/Dutch]
Friese Aero Club - The Netherlands
Condor Fan, Orbiter Addon developer

HornetSk

Postby HornetSk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi better than VR920 is the emagin Z800 , only too 800x600 and no big field of view. More more better are one or two DLP projectors and 3D glasses (e-dimensional) and 3d drivers from NVidia. I use this setup and is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_p69UwOsNU

Chock

Postby Chock » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm

This looks like a fun project, so much so that I just bought myself a BU0836 controller similar to the one you have used here, and I intend to have a crack at something along similar lines.

Return to “Cockpit Builders”