Windows 8.1 joystick problems

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

elliottmid

Windows 8.1 joystick problems

Postby elliottmid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:29 pm

My beloved MS Force Feedback Sidewinder II has never worked with Windows 8.1, which I was forced to adopt when I required Dell to give me a new computer last spring after four MB replacements. So now I have 16gig loaded XPS with Widows 8.1, hoo.

So after abstaining from Condor for a number of months I pulled out the old, inferior spring-loaded Logitech Attack 3 joystick, wiped the dust off, and presto--IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER!

Windows compatibility center says neither one works, so there. Got to love MS.

Can anyone recommend a FF joystick that will *definitely* work with Windows 8.1? Or barring that, the least obnoxious spring-loaded stick?

Thanks!
Elliott

uxbridge

Re: Windows 8.1 joystick problems

Postby uxbridge » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Logitech Wingman Force 3D works for me. First it didn't support FF at all, but only worked as a 'passive' joystick. Then, I downloaded 64bit drivers (for Vista) and the latest Logitech gaming software. FF started to work. But to be honest, it doesn't work great with Condor. In the Logitech's profiler I set the forces and damp effects to maximum but it has a little effect in Condor - the feedback force doesn't change much with the speed. It is quite weak, even on maximum speed. Setting FF to max in Condor doesn't help either. It increases stall warning and flutter effects only. Centering spring force however, works as expected.

On another Windows 8.1 computer I have Logitech G940 installed. Installation process went without problems and the set works well with Condor. Contrary to the Wingman Force it reacts properly to FF adjustments made in the profiler.

uxbridge

Postby uxbridge » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Small update. On my Windows 8.1 I've installed Logitech Profiler (Logitech Gaming Software) v. 5.10 for 64 bit systems. Although Force 3D joystick isn't on the list of supported devices (Force 3D Pro is), it is recognized by the software without problems. Issues with too weak feedback force in the Condor don't happen anymore. Assigning customized feedback to different games (including Condor) with the profiler works well. Although G940 system is able to generate stronger forces, feedback with Force 3D joystick is perfectly acceptable.
Conclusion: Logitech force feedback joysticks (Force 3D, Force 3D Pro) and G940 Flight System as well, will work with Condor on Windows 8 (8.1) computers.

thermal

Postby thermal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi, I have seen messages elsewhere that claim that MS Sidewinder FFB2 (with the USB connector) does work with Windows 8.1

Someone found the following procedure:

- Switch off the computer
- Plug in the FFB2 joystick USB connector
- Now, switch the computer on and let Windows discover the new device
- Let Windows complete its startup.
- Disconnect the FFB2 connector
- Reconnect the FFB2 connector
- Go to Configuration screen/Devices & Printers to find the FFB2 joystick
- Calibrate it if necessary.

Can somebody confirm that the FFB2 stick really works on W8.1 ??

Thanks
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Geoff L

Postby Geoff L » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi
Having finally upgraded from XP to 8.1, I too have the problem that the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 works....but without force feedback or stick centring. So, I'm considering a replacement:- SPEEDLINK Black Widow SL-6640-SBK Joystick, sold by PC World for £30.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 04183522:s Looks like it should do the business, with slight bonus of a good throttle lever for airbrakes - has anyone used it with Condor, please, and if so, with what results? :?:
Geoff L

Return to “Hardware”