Condor freezes when aerotow take off!!

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Condor freezes when aerotow take off!!

Postby OXO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:44 am

Greg,

Uros doesn't check this section.. it's best to email support@soaringsim.com.
OXO,
Condor Team
Official facebook page

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:34 am

Hi, Ive actually been through this all before (setting up the graphics that is) DOH! :oops:
I recently re-installed condor due to a corrupted scenery (one Im building - rather inexpertly, but its coming together) and updated my NVidia driver so lost all the settings.

The thing to do - and this for all you out there using laptops - is to first make your NVidia (or whatever) graphics card the default card, you can do this in the Nvidia control panel or through the main Control Panel. The condor Set Up screen will still show Intel as the graphics processor but just ignore it.

Then, you don't need to go into BIOS (which is a bit beyond GUI types like me) use the NVidia control panel to set things up specific to Condor itself:
Go to: Mange 3D settings / Programme settings, add Condor to the list as it wont show if you have it correctly installed outside of the main Programmes folder.
change 'Antialiasing mode' to 'application controlled'.
change 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer consistent performance'.
change 'Texture filtering quality' to 'Performance'
lastly turn 'Vertical sync' on, set to 'Use 3D application setting'

The most important setting above is the 'Prefer consistent performance' one - this keeps the clock speed in check and stops it from overheating (which is what makes it freeze up - to recover and cool). Thermal is correct in that regard - not arrogant!

With my settings as above Condor goes from freezing every ten seconds to running cleanly - I still only get about 85-90 FPS and occasionally there is a very brief pause with FPS dropping off but no freezing at all. I only experience this (insignificant) pause when circling or going really fast and using the high hat a lot simultaneously.

In conclusion I'd have to say that its our equipment that's lacking and nothing really to do with Condor itself! Laptops simply aren't really designed for running Gaming software.

thermal

Postby thermal » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:21 pm

For those who suffer from this problem and still haven't tried my possible solution:
Download "MSI Afterburner" and down-clock the graphics card's Core clock and Memory clock by, say, 100 Mhz each.
It cannot do any harm, start Condor and just see what happens.

Mind you, flying fast on a HD scenery requires an extreme amount of pixel handling by the graphics processor and therefore causes a lot of heat.

And heat causes freezing, believe it or not :?

Of course it is not a real solution but at least it may save you a lot of frustration!
If it works, cranck up the clock rates slowly until the problem re-occurs, and then you know,,,.
Just try it.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Postby EDB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:40 am

For the people who don't believe it...

A Golden Oldie... A test from Tom's Hardware Guide : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGcnRanYMM

This one is for CPU's, but for GPU's it's the same story.

Keep it cool... 8) :D
SKINS : Team the Netherlands 5.3 and Dutch Nationals 14.10

From the developers : Condor V2 is now in Beta

In the 32-bit world, time won’t go beyond Tuesday 2038-01-19 03:14:07 (UTC). Instead it will return to Friday 1901-12-13 20:45:52 (UTC)

thermal

Postby thermal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am

One other thing I seem to remember on this issue and may be worth checking:

Make sure you have at least the WDDM 1.1 driver for your specific Intel internal HDxxxx graphics board.
Depending on your Laptop's Hardware implementation for internal- and external displays, the WDDM 1.0 driver may not support multi monitor configurations, and disables one of them.
And guess which one that will be. :wink:

The updates for Intel's WDDM drivers are distributed via "Windows Update", as optional updates.
So, if you never select optional updates when Windows Update offers them, or have Windows Update disabled, chances are that you still run the limited function WDDM 1.0 driver.

thermal

Postby thermal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am

One other thing I seem to remember on this issue and may be worth checking:

Make sure you have at least the WDDM 1.1 driver for your specific Intel internal HDxxxx graphics board.
Depending on your Laptop's Hardware implementation for internal- and external displays, the WDDM 1.0 driver may not support multi monitor configurations, and disables one of them.
And guess which one that will be. :wink:

The updates for Intel's WDDM drivers are distributed via "Windows Update", as optional updates.
So, if you never select optional updates when Windows Update offers them, or have Windows Update disabled, chances are that you still run the limited function WDDM 1.0 driver.

Return to “Hardware”