Cheapest setup to get my daughter soaring

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

xray328

Cheapest setup to get my daughter soaring

Postby xray328 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Hey guys. My 12 yo daughter wants to start training over the winter for her solo late next year. Condor was highly recommended to is but I'm starting from scratch (no pc/monitors/controllers). I was considering using (3) 32" televisions as the monitors (got one at Christmas for $159) for a more immersive experience (I've read Condors graphics aren't up for this though?) She doesn't need eye candy, just a realistic trainer. After seeing the setups and the money folks are putting into fsx I'm worried that I won't be able to do this on a budget of $1000 though (all in). I've been looking at refurbished PC's, a lot of the $129ish systems seem to meet the requirements, unless I'm mistaken? Maybe something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/271876179198

Maybe add some ram and a decent video card?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

tomthetank46

Re: Cheapest setup to get my daughter soaring

Postby tomthetank46 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:18 pm

I'm a private glider pilot and college student, and I fly condor from my dorm room all the time. I have Condor (about $60) to use during the school year, and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick ($30 from Amazon). I run it on my MacBook Pro which I have for school anyway, and the performance is fine. A little when trees on the ground are in the frame, but nothing major. As far as 3 tv screens go, my 13' screen works fine, I use the mouse-look feature to move my "head". For better realism and probably a similar price, I'd invest in TrackIR technology for the virtual reality aspect of things. I'm looking at Google cardboard for $30, but higher quality could go up to $300+.

Bottom line, my setup costs $100 + computer, and is realistic enough for me. It's also what we use at my club, Harris Hill Soaring, to teach new students before they start spending money on actual flights.

Hopefully this was helpful, feel free to let me know of any questions. Good luck to your daughter on her solo and future gliding!

evmal

Postby evmal » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:11 am

Hi, I just bought condor software and I got some exe installation file.
I did not find any possibility to get mac ox version to run it on mac book pro.
Can you suggest me how do you get it? Thank you.

phercek

Postby phercek » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:53 pm

There is no Mac version of Condor.

Mac owners typically use BootCamp to make their Mac to dual boot MS Windows. This sucks big time.

Some visualization software may work too but these often have problems with the speed of graphics drivers without dual VGA configuration (where one VGA is assigned to the guest OS image through IO space visualization using VTD). This sucks less but I'm not even sure whether any Mac virtualization software supports VTD.

evmal

Postby evmal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:52 pm

thank you very much.

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 pm

evmal wrote:Hi, I just bought condor software and I got some exe installation file.
I did not find any possibility to get mac ox version to run it on mac book pro.
Can you suggest me how do you get it? Thank you.

Please use forum search!

.. and you will find your answer..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16542&hilit=mac#p145967
OXO,
Condor Team
Official facebook page

Return to “Hardware”