Thank you very much for very informative post!
You mentioned few problems which are with us almost since beginning of C.
Slow (poor, new) pilots and their less than average performance vs skilled pilots (and their too awesome performance).
There was already few ideas (and tries) how to fix this:
- different classes of gliders for pilots on same server (better gliders for less skilled - rather not enough for them)
- different tasks on same server (hard to do in C. as pda shows only one defined task, hope in C2!)
- different tasks on different servers + separate scoring - kind of two leagues (pilots can decide which they prefer)
- very good conditions, slow pilots have more chance to finish task in reasonable time (arcade/short tasks for skilled pilots)
- more AATs (problem with external PDA)
Condor treated as very serious simulator would be probably boring for many people. This is not surprise.
Would be hard to fly demanding task very often. Condor is for our pleasure finally!
So next problem is compromise:
Finding good balance between sim and game in everyday C. use and/or in competitions.
Condor settings, weather etc... This is for long discussion, just signalising. (It was discussed few times on forum years ago, worth to read those voices from past)... BTW: I was surprised in SBC there was no outside view? Why? Personally I like to watch flyby during flights and it is less claustrophobic to me going outside from time to time.
As for SBC principles, if I can comment...
- Courses completed by the best pilot between 1:30 and 2:00
Good timings... Unf. 1:30 probably will provide to too quick for many, while of course 3h for noob pilot is way too long.
That's where great are AAT tasks (unf. C. is not suporting [hope for C2!] them and not everybody have Android phone with XCSoar or similar program).
Same with not so great weather. With AAT flying of all ppl takes same time! It may be 2h but also 1h 45 etc. Just distance will be much different.
- Difficulties set as at least one third of the participants should be able to complete the race on time
Was it working? I guess so...
- Allow therefore more pilots to participate without disgust them with too selective tasks they will never end (or maybe not in time)
This may be problem similar to pt. 2. Or maybe wider question: Is Condor boring sometimes in competitions?!
I think it is not!
Esp. where lots of pilots flying. I am poor pilot as well, but for me it is great to compete with guy who is just above me at score table, not with first!
- Vary the types of races between countryside an mountains flights
It was done, but from my very far POV I think there was more mountain/ridge races than flatland or mix. Dunno tho...
Again! To be clear!
Please don't take it too serious or personally! IMO Probably SBC saved Condor life! And C2 will be soon. I really appreciate your work!
We're just talking about our favourite piece of software. How to make it better. Your ideas may be different than mine, I just share what I think, maybe you'll find something interesting. So that's my 2c.
With all our hope for C2 etc.