[TUTORIAL] 3D objects for Condor Sceneries with Wings 3D

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR, ASH33M

OXO
Condor Team

Re: [TUTORIAL] 3D objects for Condor Sceneries with Wings 3D

Postby OXO » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Capricorne wrote:What I understand is you can not have a cube (one object) with one face Transparent and other mapped with the same texture because you need a material with an opacity <1 (the famous 0.94). This face need to be extracted from cube to have a second object with specific material !! Now that the texture for this Face , can be the same général texture or an other one . In this case ONE material per object is the same than one texture per object.
But i agree there was always an ambiguity between 'Materials', and 'Textures'.
Merging a lot of Objects in one big file should bot be a problem, as long you don't combine them in one object.
For the particular AirportO.cx I can not imagine that all sub-objects will also need to have the same Material and texture

Wrong. As I explained before your cube can have 1 material with a tga texture. The tga texture can have a transparent section with alpha channel. And other section with different alpha.
OXO,
Condor Team

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 pm

OXO wrote:
Wrong. As I explained before your cube can have 1 material with a tga texture. The tga texture can have a transparent section with alpha channel. And other section with different alpha.

I bet this will not work if you use the "Glass.tga" from the glider....if the opacity is set to 1 in Wings3d. Xavier and Me have made numerous test about the needed value, the 255 shade of gray for alpha channel doesn't help, or you see throw (not visible) or it's opaque..the value that work in all case is opacity=0.94. or in .CX file 000498.0 for tranparencity.
Its the first time you say an airportO (and S ?).cx is not an ordinary object... :D but a container with multiple objects....that's for sure a good news for Xavier.
For me I will continue to build my objects like real buildings and real material , so for sure I have only one material per object.
the same building as previous picture , just ripped a bit my Material/objects.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:53 am

I think you dont need to set transparency in wings. You can set this in Photoshop by making the transparent area of the tga more or less dark. The opaque areas of the tga would all be white.

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 am

Certainly tga do not display correctly in wings, but they are displayed correctly in Condor. Maybe this is what confuses you...
OXO,
Condor Team

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:38 am

GregHart1965 wrote:I think you dont need to set transparency in wings. You can set this in Photoshop by making the transparent area of the tga more or less dark. The opaque areas of the tga would all be white.

Thank's Greg, but I know this, I have tested a long time ago with gradient alpha channel in .tga .... :)
and the many problems with transparency have ben discussed (sorry in french) here :
http://nakaminow.info/condor/transparen ... rence.html
and also the "Hole , Hide, and "Intrude" differences here:
http://www.condorsim.fr/communaute/topic11886.html
If we could do it in english , we had do it !!
Now I think it's all time better to make an internal object , without using a Hole...and real objects are more complex than a transparent face in a cube.. :D Good luck with your glider

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am

Very nice choppers !
OXO,
Condor Team

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks for the links Capricorne. I will certainly read them. I can make out most what is said in French with the help of auto translator. But searching the topics? - no :? . So the direct links are very useful.

Helichoppers are awesome!!!! :D 8)

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:20 am

OXO wrote:Very nice choppers !

They are all in some sceneries in Condor... also with other colors scheme , I have no list where they have been used, but I have shared most of them in the French forum or so...
or:

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:33 am

OXO wrote:Very nice choppers !

HI
Just found that I had still posted this picture in 2014 with a link to "German heli"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16416&p=145253#p145253

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:51 am

Id agree with Capficorne about transparent parts in a single texture. The opaque parts of the texture will not be visible behind the transparent section. Eg: a building with windows (even a hollowed out building) does not show the walls or floor through the windows. The glass sections must be a seperate object written last in the mesh/material mesh list of the .cx file. That way the depth sorting is correct with the transparent window being drawn last, over the opaque walls, which will be visible through the 'transparent' (not drawn) pixels of the window.

At the risk of confusing the issue - It pays to combine different objects in Wings that are mapped to the same texture. If the objects are identicel duplicates (or scaled duplicates) then draw one and map it before creating the duplicates. This keeps the .cx small and easy to edit.

Talking of editing .cx files I finally figured out how to hack the O.cx & G.cx files to create runways that are wings objects. Thanks Xavier for the tutorial (cant find the thread it was in now). At last I can land on something that actually stays in focus :-)

Shot273.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Grouping texture maps and adding semi-transparencies to the final texture map

Many of us use, when building a 3D object, several textures for their objects.

It is a very good habit, it is faster and very efficient, especially if there are transparencies and if we use the "Merge" function that allows to insert sub-objects already finalized in your object, for example the wheels of a vehicle. It is also more efficient to split its object into several pieces in order to master the "UV mapping" of each part of the object. The result if you do not group the texture maps is a "cx" file with several materials and several texture maps after exporting to "3ds" and converting to "cx" with "Object Converter".

This method is very effective when the UV mapping of the subassemblies is already performed correctly, with well-aligned edges, good scales for each element of the pattern.

But, as written by OXO, version 2 of Condor will no longer admit this possibility. For isolated objects ("cx" file), only one material and only one texture map will be accepted.

If you have semi-transparencies, such as glider canopies or shadows, you will need to use "tga" or "dds" texture map files. In this case, a new constraint concerns the type of file "tga" for the textures which must imperatively be of type 2 or 10.

All these new constraints seem to come from the use of DirectX 11.

However, we had to be organized to group all the textures into one and get a single material and texture map.

Grouping the textures in a single one will in most cases require to increase the size of the texture, and move, for example, from 512 x 512 pixels to 1024 x 1024 pixels, or else to decrease the resolution, to increase or differentiate only certain parts of the elements of the pattern. It is a delicate choice. But, as you can always reduce your texture map in your cx file, work with a bigger files.

To help you to choose, here's what to keep in mind:

If you double the texture from 512 to 1024, you can group 4 textures of 512, without any reduction in resolution, but if you have more textures you can have 9 places in your square with a resolution decrease of 100 to 66%, that is a reduction of 33%.
These are the patterns you should adopt, knowing that when you rearrange your pattern elements, in the "AutoUV" window, you will get a gain in the area and you will be able to add other elements.

If it is the first time you have to group textures on a complex object, we recommend that you work on a copy of your object. Copy that you will renew under a different name for each major step of the process, unless you use the "Save Incrementally" option of Wings 3D.

Step 1

Once, the basic pieces created, they must be assembled by a succession of "Merge" to obtain the basic model with its multiple textures. Then make the necessary corrections and complements.

Step 2

Before beginning the assembly of the texture maps by successive combinations, it is necessary to remake the "UV Mapping" of each part with the final dimension of the texture and to have previously chosen a location in the final map so that when the elements of the textures will be gathered together, they do not overlap. Provide between each element of the pattern (Isles) a distance of 4 pixels and 2 pixels for the edges of the texture map.

To remake the "UV Mapping" of each part, there are two possibilities:

If your texture map is badly made, select the part concerned and make a complete new "UV Mapping" or at least partial "UV Mapping" in keeping the "edges mark for cut", as explained in the previous subjects.

Before creating the texture of the part concerned, you have to scale, group the elements of the pattern and move them to the right place.

If your texture map is correct or requires some little adaptation, select the relevant object and then from the menu: "Window -> UV Editor Window", go directly to the final phase of "UV Mapping", the window "AutoUV", where you can make all the adaptations you like, then scale, group the elements of the pattern and move them to the right place.

Finally, create your texture in the final format chosen with preferably a final "Draw Edges" pass.
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
*****- Xavier - (XDL * F-DELX) -*****

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Step 3

When all the textures of your different elements or objects are correctly positioned, they must be grouped together in one or more times. For example, for the ASK 21 we first assembled the elements of the glider, then the glider with the pilots, etc.

To achieve correctly this task, you must always follow the process in Wings 3D, described here:

1 / In "Outliner", choose and locate the main material, and the corresponding texture.

2 / In "Geometry Graph", locate the corresponding object .

3 / In "Geometry Graph", lock all objects that are not part of the grouping.

4 / Note on a list all the materials and textures that will be grouped, starting with the material and the main texture.

5 / Select the "Object" mode.

6 / Select the main object first, then all other objects, which are part of the grouping in the "Geometry Graph" window.

7 / Make a Right Click in the main window to bring up the popup menu of the transformations of the Objects. Choose "Combine".

8 / Then, imperatively, it is necessary, at this moment, to connect the material and the texture in "Outliner" to the new object.

9 / Access to the texture map via the "Windows -> UV Editor Window" menu. Normally, all your textures have been grouped together on a single map. The final texture is the result of the point-to-point grouping of previously positioned textures. Check that there is no overlap. If not, rearrange your textures. When everything seems correct, finish with "Create Texture".

The main texture is then replaced by the texture grouping all the other textures of the objects having grouped with "Combine".

10 / Save your object.

11 / While preserving the main material and its associated new texture, eliminate all other materials, following the list made in 4 by right-clicking on the material and choosing "Delete" from the popup menu, then do the same for textures
except that you must accept the destruction of the texture.

12 / Rename the object, its material and its texture.

13 / Save your work.

14 / Repeat this process to combine all the other elements of your object with your new texture. Position in a rectangle the glazing and the shadow carried.

Then, you only have to paint and texture your texture map using 2D modeller, after exporting the texture in "bmp" with "Make External" in Wings 3D.

Note that at any time you can return to your texture map by "UV Editor Window" and you can complete or modify your map by following the above process if you still have room on your texture.
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Step 4

Now we have a texture map finished in "bmp", with no transparency and two rectangular areas dedicated to the glazing and the other to the shadow. To have semi-transparencies, we need an alpha layer, and therefore change our texture into "tga" or "dds" in order to be able to control the semi-transparency and the colour of the glazing and the semi-transparency of the shadow.

Here is the method:

1 / Open your 2d modeller.

2 / Load the "bmp" texture map. We have previously delimited 2 zones, bottom and right, one grey-green for the glazing, the other black for the shadow.

3 / Using the rectangular selection tool, select the grey-green rectangle of the glazing. And fill it with the color of your choice.

4 / Repeat the same operations with the black colour of your choice for the black rectangle of the shadow.

5 / Now make a new selection over the both areas.

6 / Add an alpha channel.
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

7 / Adjust the Value of the alpha channel to the desired semi-transparency.

8 / Save your Texture Map from the menu as a tga or dds files

9 / Quit your 2D modeller.

Then, it is the standard process for any object in Wings 3D:
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Message obsolete

Good creation of objects adapted to the future V2!
Last edited by Xavier on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Scenery”