Caucasus scenery

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR, ASH33M

pstrzel

Caucasus scenery

Postby pstrzel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:42 pm

This has been a project of mine for a while and it is still a work in progress. In fact, this was the first scenery that I attempted and abandoned in order to work on "Utah". The low resolution Landsat imagery leaves much to be desired. I had to clean up a lot of cloud cover, and most of the mountains are covered with snow. Nevertheless, I'm surprised that no one made a scenery of this beautiful mountain range before. Due to the sociopolitical situation of the Caucasus region I don't expect that there's much soaring going on there, but perhaps someone will correct me. I couldn't find any info on it in English except a single photo of a paraglider somewhere in Georgia. As far as I can tell, most of the airports are either regional or old military bases. Most tourists probably arrive via the Queen Tamar airport in Mestia, in the vicinity of the spectacular Ushba peak.

This scenery is 8 x 12 Terragen tiles @ 2048px resolution. At this point it has 11 airports including 4 imaginary (made for easier access to all mountain areas). Here are the maps:

Over Mt. Elbrus and another mountain view:

Beslan and Nalchik respectively:

Approaching the Caucasus from the north are large swaths of lush deciduous forests:

Which brings me to the problem of having to create forests. I don't have any useful data on that region, but it would be a shame not to have any in the scenery. If anyone would like to offer assistance (partnership) in finishing this scenery I would be very grateful. I don't consider airport accuracy to be a high priority though, perhaps only Queen Tamar as there are pictures and video of the airport available. Cheers.

pstrzel

Re: Caucasus scenery

Postby pstrzel » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Having tried to line up actual vegetation maps with the scenery (Thank you Capricorne! :) ), I've come to the conclusion that creating forests using "select by color" seems to yield the best results:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Does anyone know what's causing this annoying effect in some spots? It looks like the trees just slip down the mountain and settle at the bottom. The trees should be all over the mountain side, like the bottom image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Here's a better view of my problem. This is a scenery screen shot looking north and a screenshot of the Landscape Editor with both coniferous and deciduous forests turned on and the plane position indicated by the magenta cross:

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Postby EDB » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 pm

<scenery>.ini file?
Height set too low?

[Forest]
HeightLimit=
SKINS : Team the Netherlands 5.3 and Dutch Nationals 14.10

From the developers : Condor V2 is now in Alpha

In the 32-bit world, time won’t go beyond Tuesday 2038-01-19 03:14:07 (UTC). Instead it will return to Friday 1901-12-13 20:45:52 (UTC).

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm

EDB wrote:<scenery>.ini file?
Height set too low?

[Forest]
HeightLimit=

Thank you EDB! Actually, I didn't have a .ini file at all, but after making one and setting the tree height limit at an arbitrary value of 3000 my problem went away. :D Why wasn't I aware of this before? :?

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Now, that's more like it :D :

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Here's a pic from my first try at wave flight in Caucasus. There's a very long and high ridge with a valley behind it, so there's also a long wave that forms behind it. It took me only about 50 minutes to get to 14000 m.

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I decided to "spruce up" :) some of the snowy mountain sides.

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 am

may the force be with you... :D if you can understand this

http://xiangyueconstruction.diandian.co ... 3/14128271

Queen Tamar Airport ; best place to start the trip to Waves Valley.... :mrgreen:

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:21 am

Capricorne wrote:may the force be with you... :D if you can understand this

http://xiangyueconstruction.diandian.co ... 3/14128271

Queen Tamar Airport ; best place to start the trip to Waves Valley.... :mrgreen:

Do you want to design it for me? :mrgreen:
Interestingly, if you want to see bird's eye view of the new Queen Tamar airport you have to go to Bing maps. It's still all dirt and grass on Google.

And look what I found:
http://www.xpace.cc/projects/urban-design/kaukasus/

A glider!

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm

Just for the pleasure of watching landscape....not yet gliders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcC-6ko ... u.be&t=57s

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 pm

pstrzel wrote:
Do you want to design it for me? :mrgreen:
Interestingly, if you want to see bird's eye view of the new Queen Tamar airport you have to go to Bing maps. It's still all dirt and grass on Google.

And look what I found:
http://www.xpace.cc/projects/urban-design/kaukasus/

A glider!

I'm looking what I can do... :)
For Imagery I go to "Wikimapia" so I can instantly compare all the satellite pictures:

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=fr&lat=43.05 ... 6&m=bs&v=2

Not yet easy to find good pictures : (want to see landscape around the airport , kind of trees....) here 2 that can be useful :
And also what , I could understand from that complex airport building shape Image.

Patrice,

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:12 pm

No problem, but it looks like you beat me to it.
:lol:

Good job! It's good practice. :mrgreen: Yours looks better.
Last edited by pstrzel on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:24 pm

The runway is modeled:

Return to “Scenery”