Light values in .cx

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR, ASH33M

GregHart1965

Re: Light values in .cx

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Well after further testing (fiddling around) Ive realised that my neat little model of how things work isnt correct.
It only holds true for any of the integers if all other values are zero. As soon as you mix different intensities for different things complete different number sets are written.
As Xavier said above things are not so simple. Values are clearly inserted into formulae, added to each other or multiplied giving figures that dont match a simplistic model.
Darn! Just when you think you are beginning to understand.... The best thing to do is simply to set-up the values in Wings and place as many of your objects with AptCndrX as possible. Avoid grey colours!?
Certainly making a model of all possible combinations would be impractical.

LE seems to strip any colour information away resulting in the values being assigned a normalised value by Open GL / render engine(??) The only adjustment you can make to them is to adjust the original texture image in Photoshop or Gimp (image editor).

Im also begining to think that the last line and second last line of integers are mutually exclusive statements (so its either one or the other(?). Making large changes to these in tandem produced results with no difference whatsoever.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:17 pm

@Xavier. To me the AptCndr placed plane you showed in the first picture looks most realistic, in the second picture the colours are a bit too strong. With the values boosted it will look the same as the LE plane - BUT it will stay that bright at sunset :| . I would just place it as is with AptCndr and then make a second version with a much darker texture image for placing with LE - which probably wont look exactly the same under all lighting conditions but then what can we do? Condor just is what it is. (sigh!)

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Greg,

Starting with a copy of the initial bmp texture file I change the brigthness to 70% and the contrast to +25% and keeping your trick in the DC3 material O airport file (17 in the last line ), I obtain what I wanted: only one texture, compliance with V2, same appearance.

Now we get an approximate reference between LE and O airport file. Have a look:

Shot2584R.jpg

Shot2585R.jpg

I need to refine the aluminium sheets' colors, and made them more metallic.

Yes I knowed that it was more complex that you think, but you did a great job in building a same appearance between LE and airports files.

Experimentation is always the base of understanding.
*****- Xavier - (XDL * F-DELX) -*****

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks Xavier - yes you are right experimentation is a great teacher. The planes look awesome now - much better with more muted colours! :D

Metallic colours will always be hard - its a pity we are still with DirectX7 and 3Ds files - the results I see some people get from Blender these days are almost better than photographs! Anyways that is a different animal entirely.

I recently made a hangar using photographic textures of corrugated metal roofing - it has a nice effect especially when adding some shininess and a little help from the emmission - that last line again. Now later in the day it has a nice sheen coming of the roof - looks very real - at least as far as Condor goes that is :lol: :roll: :) -Maybe using a photograph of aluminium for the areas of the plane that are plain aluminium would help?? -Not sure if it fits with your 'liet motif' of making synthetic sceneries?

It still puzzles me how some of my textures look amazing and some not good at all. I suppose it just takes more practice and learning - Ive been reading and studying as much as I can - keen to learn more about all this.

BTW Manifold Lab Wings is great for modelling - get if you dont have it already - it just doesnt make 3ds so keep an older copy of Wings for that.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:16 pm

@ Xavier: please check out the follow up thread to this
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17156&p=149445#p149445

I think that full emmssion for your planes is not the correct solution as they will still be fully visible at night when everything is pitch black.

Rather set a small emmission figure and raise the specular component to at least half intensity. This will light the plane properly for the AptCndr object. For the LE object you will need a duplcate object (DC2) linked to a different texture where the brightness is turned way down to match the the AptCndrX object. This way both objects will react to light changes in a similar manner.

Values for half specular and half shininess may be a good place to start for the AptCndr plane. Make sure you set Wings3D to 'multiply' the values you set for the material. Add emission values slowly and keep them low. Remember emission values mean the pixels will stay turned on regardless of the outside light source (sun) conditions).

Hope that helps.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:53 pm

@ Xavier. These values work well for AptCndrX objects - and wont make things glow in the dark! :D 8)

0000017.0, 0000017.0, 0000017.0, 0000017.0;;
0000526.0;
0000017.0, 0000017.0, 0000017.0;;
000028.0, 000028.0, 000508.0;;

Xavier

Postby Xavier » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the help!

Experimenting :

With standard (17) the DC3 is white lighted in the dark, but good in the sunlight (see abonve photos).

Shot2598R.jpg

With specular, reduced emission et ambient, your new attempt;

The DC3 at right became greenish

Shot2609R.jpg

and it is clearly green in the dark.

Shot2610R.jpg

Don't worry, soaring in the night is quite impossible! :wink:
*****- Xavier - (XDL * F-DELX) -*****

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Unfortunately any value put in the emission line will make those pixels 'stuck on'. I guess its just to make it look right up to sunset. Yes the values I gave you are more yellow/green - they were for a building that was looking very blue.

The only answer if you dont want things to glow is to have one object for AptCndrX and another for LE with different brightness texture images.

Return to “Scenery”