Actually, I have succeeded in placing a single aerial cable between the Col du Pillon and the Diablerets. It's fairly primitive for now but I believe it can be refined. Here's what I did...
I took the following data from the West Swiss scenary:
1) Lat, Lon in Degrees, Decimal degrees for the Col du Pillon and the Diablerets
2) Alt in meters msl for the Col du Pillon and the Diablerets
3) Calculated the distance and bearing from the Col du Pillon and the Diaberets
4) Applied a little geometry and trigonometry to get the length of the cable and the angle
After all, in its simplest expression, any segment of an aerial cable is just a triangle. Here are the values and the formulas for a Open Office Spread Sheet:
B5 Lat/Lon 1 46.3536 C5 -7.2047
B5 Lat/Lon 2 46.34 C6 -7.2144
B7 Alt 1 1560
B8 Alt 2 2382
B10 height 822 => Alt 2 - Alt 1
B11 distance 1686 => =ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90-B5)) *COS(RADIANS(90-B6)) +SIN(RADIANS(90-B5)) *SIN(RADIANS(90-B6)) *COS(RADIANS(C5-C6))) *6371*1000
B12 cable length 1875.3480161953 =>(SQRT(B10^2+B11^2))
Angle 25.9966531491 => =(DEGREES(ACOS(B11/B12)))
Using these values I created my cable in Wings 3D
1) Add cylinder
2) Scale X and Z to 10%
3) Scale Y to cable length (cable length / 2 gives you the %... at least on my config) Here the value is 93750%
4) Check the length by examining an edge
5) Rotate the cylinder -90+25.99 degrees
4) Move cylinder to X = 0.0, Y=1/2 height, Z = -1/2 cable length then adjust by hand.
5) Export selected, make UV mapping etc. and textures etc.
6) Convert object to cx
7) Move cx and bmp to scenary/world/object and textures respectively
Open landscape editor and place object.
Now, perhaps this was a coincidence and I just got lucky. I'll refine the model or add to it and let you know. If the model is OK, it should be apply the idea to any segment of cable between two points. Granted, it's a strait line. Making the cable sag is going to be a whole new adventure.
Right now, this serves my purpose... Namely, place cables in Condor so that I can show my students where the hidden dangers are along certain slopes in the vicinity of my home base, Challes-les-Eaux.