Virtual World Gliding Championship 2010 Prievidza.

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

macsimc

Re: Virtual World Gliding Championship 2010 Prievidza.

Postby macsimc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:38 am

Congrats to the ones crazy enough to finish the task, nearly 5 hours of staring at the monitor...

After checking some of the IGC files it seems that the weather strength was similar to the real one, only the wind was exactly opposite and a bit stronger in Condor.

Thanks for starting the servers earlier otherwise i could not make it!

L.E. Small question, today task will be 2 or 3 hours like in real?

goshawk

Postby goshawk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Uh... It sounds interesting.
Day by day 5 hour flight for two weeks :D

Not designed for working and family pilots :D
http://hwk.hu
"Linux is user friendly.... just selective of its friends"
"Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Fox9

Postby Fox9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Eddie,

in the rules you write "All task will be 1000p".
Does that mean you don't apply formulas for "Dayfactor",
"250 km Distance" and "3 hours" flighttime?
If so I am wondering because even
in Day2 of Standard class with 400 km and nearly 4h flightime
the winner gets only 940 p minus 2 penalty points.

Fox9

korkiley

Postby korkiley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 pm

macsimc wrote:Just a few words,
If someone make some rules why don't you guys just accept them or don't participate ? All the times only complains ...
I didn't have an collision in 1-2 years, if one thermal get's crowded and I can't keep an eye on the gliders near me i prefer loosing a few seconds and jump to another thermal.
You guys are 'playing' only to win? My opinion is that in gliding more important is the competition itself , enjoying the flight together and testing your limits.
There's still life after condor ... if you crash you can watch a movie or something with your family/friends, and look forward to your next race.

Hi Macsim,

It was fun flying with you the other day. I entirely agree with your sentiments here. I feel tremendously privileged to be able to race in any competition against an international pick of top pilots. Although I obtained a private powered license in 1973, I haven't been able to afford to fly since, and sadly I never tried soaring in real life. I'm 65 now and hope that I may still have the opportunity. Flying Condor and participating in these competitions is the next best thing, and while it is possible that I may yet take up gliding in RL to some degree, there is absolutely no chance that I would ever have a chance to enter an international competition. I am tremendously grateful to be able to do so with Condor, even if it is a simulation. In fact a simulation is its own thing. It is NOT real life, and while it is fun to make it as close as possible, there are compromises that must be made. There are many competitions available, and I feel that, while it may be disappointing that they are not all to my liking, there are many that are. Eddie has a strong determination and I admire him for it. I think he has an ideal for the kind of competition that he would like to run. We can all try it and see how it goes. I understand the frustrations of several pilots who have complained bitterly about the unfairness of this competition. But competition is inherently unfair. Many people dream of being a great athlete, or a great artist, mathematician, etc. But only few have the abilities, the motivation, the talent and the strength. Yet we all have the chance to participate in many activities and that is the gift that we can focus on. And these days there are even special competitions for people with physical and even mental limitations.

I hope the people who feel that this is an unfair competition will look for the strength to participate with a more generous spirit on whatever level they are able, instead of just going away angry because everything doesn't match their needs or desires. Maybe you can't participate in every race. Some days you may have to work late, some days you may choose to take your glider out instead. Those are your priorities, some because of necessity, some because of desire. None of us can do everything and no rules can accommodate everyone! I think that Eddie has been very accommodating and I truly thank him for all of his hard work and effort.

I hope everyone has a really fun competition. I personally will be very careful not to jeapordize the safety or success of others through reckless or selfish aggression. With a normal ping of around 200, I must do my best to keep clear of other gliders. I would feel awful for the pilot that I took out of the competition (as well as myself : )

Kor Kiley
USA
ImageImage

FlyingEddieOM

Postby FlyingEddieOM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi guys

firstly thank you all for your responses. I have got time and power to response to every single one of you. I am sorry for that.

to Fox9:

I am applying Day factor there for no all task are exactly 1000 point. There is one other factor which caculate task factor. That is set to 1000 points because it is difficult to caculate. Its count as factor of turn points, lenght and time on task. I have abstracted from this factor.

Day factor apart from that two(distance and time) take into consideration also how many pilots flown more than 100km multiplied by Deac Index. Read Annex A for more information. Annex A is avaliable for download at my page.

korkiley

Postby korkiley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Eddie,

I think I asked before but I didn't hear anything. There is a teamspeak server advertised on the WGC 2010 virtual site. I have tried to connect using the password aswask13 without success. Is this server up and working? Is anyone using it? Is it a teamspeak 3 server? It would be nice if we could use it although I don't expect many people will be speaking english!

Kor
ImageImage

FlyingEddieOM

Postby FlyingEddieOM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:38 pm

I already replied to that

old wooden glider is ASK13 not aswask13 no such glider exist.

TS is version 2.0 it isnt 3.0.
Lot of pilots already joined this server.

Eddie

korkiley

Postby korkiley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Sorry Eddie. I must have missed it. My problem is that I'm using a version 2 client because I did try ask13 too.

Thanks,

Kor
ImageImage

FlyingEddieOM

Postby FlyingEddieOM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Kor client version 2 is ok. write password with capital letters exactly like this.

PS: e.g. yesterdays standard task day factor was 0.96590909090909 therefore first pilot has 966 points if the factor would be 1 than the frst pilot will have 1000 points.

korkiley

Postby korkiley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Eddie, sorry I meant that I was using v. 3 client. I installed the v. 2 client and works fine now.

You said to go to your page to get more info in annex A about the day factor. How do I get to your page?

Yesterday you had a time slot at 21:30 for the practice races. Will you have that for the official race days too?

Thanks for all of your time and effort for putting on this race. I know you are doing the best you possibly can to accommodate everyone while still being true to your vision of how you would like this race to be. Personally, I think you are doing a splendid job!

Kor
ImageImage

FlyingEddieOM

Postby FlyingEddieOM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:20 pm

I ment virtual.wgc2010.sk site :) . It is in section rules.

Yes your Pacific server will be always at 2130 UTC. Its good idea when EU and American pilots can compite in one competition. :)

korkiley

Postby korkiley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Thank you so much. That is fantastic!

Kor
ImageImage

macsimc

Postby macsimc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 pm

got error while uploading task result, my problem or something with the server?

"Some error has occure, please try again later."

maymar

Postby maymar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 pm

me too for std class

but results are aviable on website - something is wrong calculating :D

macsimc

Postby macsimc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm not really familiar with AAT rules, you must make the minimum distance, in this case 220km?
I've oppened the task in seeyou and only 200.7km,and says "All reached turpoints rounded ok, task not finished."
Maybe that's why the error?

Return to “Multiplayer”