Condor freezes when aerotow take off!!

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

slotap

Condor freezes when aerotow take off!!

Postby slotap » Tue May 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi All

I have recently bought Condor Soaring 1.1.5, and stumble on a bit of a problem.

After a sucessfull installation, I’ve tried to run a free flight and everything worked well until the point when the Plane was connected and was about to take off, then everything froze.
After restarting it happened again, strangely the program crashes every time aerotow is used, when I try winch take off it works well, also no problems with flight school when lesson starts airborne (crashes with aerotow take off lesson though).

I have tried different graphics options in setup page, also installed up to date drivers fo graphics card but still no luck.

Do you think you could help me out? I am running out of the ideas.

My specs:
Asus G551JW,
Windows 8.1
Intel i7 4720HQ,
8GB Ram
Intel HD 4600
NVIDIA GTX 960M ( however Condor uses only Intel HD 4600 graphics, can’t make it to switch to Nvidia)

Freebird

Re: Condor freezes when aerotow take off!!

Postby Freebird » Thu May 28, 2015 2:56 pm

A quick Google turned up this ...

From NVIDIA Control Panel
3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings
Tab "Global setttings"
Preferred Graphics Processor
Select : High performance NVIDIA processor

slotap

Postby slotap » Thu May 28, 2015 4:14 pm

I did try it, but Condor still uses Intel HD graphics for some reason.

I know that other users have struggled with switching between Intel HD and NVIDIA graphics in Condor,
couldn't find a solution to this problem yet. It was partially resolved by connecting laptop via HDMI to a big screen monitor which forced Condor to use NVIDIA.
From obvious reasons though it is not ideal.

I wouldn't mind using Intel HD if Condor was working without crashing every time I want to do a tow take off :(

thermal

Postby thermal » Thu May 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi,

The only way I could get Condor to run reliably on an Intel i7 laptop, was to lower the GPU voltage by 0,15V and decrease the GPU core- and memory clock rates by ~100 Mhz.
Oh, and I connected a 32" monitor via HDMI ofcourse ....

Over more than 2 years, I tested every driver that NVidia released, installed a modded BIOS, and was disgusted with Dell, for clueless support.
In the end I found a workable solution myself.

Use "search" if you're interested, I do not have nice memories on this particular subject. :(
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

uxbridge

Postby uxbridge » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

I think that the HDMI solution can work only when the output is connected directly to NVIDIA card. On dual graphics laptops, the laptop internal display is driven by IntelHD, while HDMI may be driven by NVIDIA. When both outputs are connected to the Intel graphics (as apparently is the case with my HP Envy TS 15) then connecting HDMI monitor will not help. Either on the laptop screen or HDMI TV/Monitor, Condor always shows IntelHD as the active display card. This is actually the only program installed on my computer which can't be forced to work with NVIDIA acceleration.

thermal

Postby thermal » Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

On Dell laptops, the OEM graphics driver package has an embedded mechanism called "Optimus".
Optimus is supposed to do the switching between Intel Onboard graphics and NVidia graphics cards.
All is well, as long as no bugs surface and you stay with the Dell supplied drivers.
And there lays the problem. :?

NVidia doesn't release regular driver updates just for fun!
They do that to fix bugs in their drivers, which are plenty.
Dell driver support lags far behind, and even stops 1.5 years after you bought the laptop.
So, in despair and notwithstanding the warnings, you try the NVidia supplied drivers.
However, by doing that you wreck the hardware dependent Optimus installation which is not provided by NVidia.
NVidia supplied driver releases may work on your computer, but sometimes you even can't get them installed.

In my experience and on my particular laptop, (Dell XPS15 i7/NVidia GT540M), graphics driver maintenance is a lottery.
It took me >2 years to get a driver suite that works, but only on an under-clocked graphics card.

But now it works, and I can finally finish a race on a HD scenery without a total system crash.
I don't even dare to touch graphics drivers on this machine anymore. :(

uxbridge

Postby uxbridge » Sat May 30, 2015 7:03 am

Can you run Condor with NVidia acceleraion on the laptop screen, or HDMI output only?

thermal

Postby thermal » Sat May 30, 2015 10:38 am

As far as I know, the HDMI interface is connected to the GT540M graphics card.
When I unplug the HDMI cable and start Condor, in Condor "setup" there is no sign of the GT540M card, only the Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU.
In NVidia configuration, GPU preference for Condor is always the NVidia GPU.

On the HDMI-fed big screen, Condor runs well with ~ double the frame rate (>120 fps) compared to the laptop screen from my now 100 MHz under-clocked GT540M card.
Current Driver is 344.75 and I intend to keep it unless ..... (fill in your favorite event... :D )

So, to answer your question, I think NVidia acceleration is via HDMI-out only, unless "Optimus" (which is no longer there) would have been able to reroute the output to the built-in HD3000.
As said, it runs great now on the big screen, so I leave it at that.

Charlie121

Postby Charlie121 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:59 pm

I have the aerotow/freeze problem also on my surface pro 3 (win8.1) tablett. No nvidiacard but same problem.. Any ideas?
Thanks

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Sun May 31, 2015 9:14 pm

The Surface Pro 3 as only an Intel HD 4400 graphic chipset, and no other Graphics card, so you have unfortunately no choice to switch to a better chipset. :(
The HDMI out is certainly not better since it is on Main board and not on a 2 CG..

thermal

Postby thermal » Sun May 31, 2015 10:08 pm

Problems like this can be anything between the way Condor coding interfaces with DirectX, internal component overheating, graphics drivers issues, chipset issues, graphics engine issues, crappy voltage regulators, just plane hardware faults, etc.
Things that are very difficult to diagnose by us, users.

Don't know about tablets, but possibilities to fix a problem like this yourself are probably even worse.
Without manufacturer support you're screwed. :(
Call Microsoft, open a case and see what happens.

slotap

Postby slotap » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:54 pm

It seems unlikely that the problem is related to anything other than Condor issue with .... well I don't know perhaps DircetX or Intel Graphic card .

Every other applications I use work fine, there is no problem with switching between Intel/NVIDIA.

Condor is the only program that refuses to work properly on my laptop :x

thermal

Postby thermal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Of course the problem is Condor related, that's why you're making a point and asked a question on this forum.
I posted a possible solution, that worked on my laptop.
All you need to do is try it on your system.

Good luck.

rainabba

Postby rainabba » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:18 pm

thermal wrote:Of course the problem is Condor related, that's why you're making a point and asked a question on this forum.
I posted a possible solution, that worked on my laptop.
All you need to do is try it on your system.

Good luck.

The problem is clearly Condor; it uses a graphics API that is ancient by any standard.

"All you need to do is try it on your system" Do you realize how arrogant that sounds or how wrong you are? I experiencing the exact same issue and ready to give up on Condor despite how amazing a "sim" it is because as an application, it's severly old and lacking and the fact is that it will only get worse until the API it's using is updated.

I've been working with 3D graphics since ~1994 when I was building my own 3d engine using qbasic on DOS 6. I've been using flight simulators even longer (Tandy 1000 was my first platform). NVidia Optimus is a nightmare in the best scenarios and impossible in the worse. Condor doesn't allow for monitor selection in full-screen mode, let alone GPU selection and since the "tricks" used for Optimus didn't exist in the days of D3D 7, there's no reason to think issues related to this (most likely this is a matter of GPU switching as the load kicks up) will have any magic fix either.

Let's hope V2 releases soon.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 am

So the half hour I spent updating and re-setting up my NVidia driver was a waste of time? Im on a Samsung i5 notebook with NVidia 610m and 8 gigs of RAM, yet get frequent freezes when ever I fly fast (most of the time) or circle (the rest of the time). This happens on any scenery at any resolution. I too just get Intel HD inter-grated graphics displayed on the set-up screen, why is there no option to change this setting?

Condor developers really need to get this (and all the other bugs) sorted out. DirectX9??? - we're on to X12 already with Windows10 due out soon. Come on Condor guys!! V2!

Return to “Hardware”