South Africa - Natal Drakensberg, Western Cape peninsular

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR, ASH33M

nimbusgb

South Africa - Natal Drakensberg, Western Cape peninsular

Postby nimbusgb » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:07 pm

I'd like to have a go at these areas so I have started to get some of the data together.

Bettys wave of the back of the iconic Table mountain should be fun and my old Easter holiday retreat to the Drakensburg although not quite the size of the alps might be a change for our European friends.

Has anyone thought of doing the Himalays? Soar Everest and K2 ?
[url=http://condor.ephemeride.com/graduate/0/?id=540]
Image[/url]

ASH33M

Postby ASH33M » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:41 pm

I already have created an area around mount everest just for interest to see what the results were, I may work on this later once my NZ scenery has been finished and released.

GregNuspel

Postby GregNuspel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:06 pm

If you are really bored how about getting set up for the Antarctic Cup :-)
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

Sig_ZA

Re: South Africa - Natal Drakensberg, Western Cape peninsula

Postby Sig_ZA » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:55 pm

nimbusgb wrote:I'd like to have a go at these areas so I have started

You have my vote.
How about some of the flat lands in the Free State as well. :D

johanp

Re: South Africa - Natal Drakensberg, Western Cape peninsular

Postby johanp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

nimbusgb wrote:I'd like to have a go at these areas so I have started to get some of the data together.

Bettys wave of the back of the iconic Table mountain should be fun and my old Easter holiday retreat to the Drakensburg although not quite the size of the alps might be a change for our European friends.

Did anything ever come of these efforts? I'd love to be able to soar around South Africa. Don't forget the area around Worcester / Breede River valley - where the recent SGP qualifier was held (results on http://www.soaringspot.com/asgp2015/)

nimbusgb

Postby nimbusgb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm

I got some rough modelling done and managed to test some of the cathkin to amphitheatre but that was 9 years ago!
[url=http://condor.ephemeride.com/graduate/0/?id=540]

Image[/url]

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Im trying to have a stab at this - even though I have yet to learn to fly in RL :roll: I live in Cape Town and it would be great to have local scenery to fly, I will be sure to enlist the help of the more tech savvy real pilots when it comes time to add stuff like way-points and check calibration accuracy. Steep learning curve - bit like a winch launch into the unknown! :lol: - onward and upward

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Hello South Africa , :D
You can fly a small part from South Africa from Cape Town to Worcester here : SudAff

It's just something to start a Scenery.. but you can fly on it. I'm 10 000 km from Cape here in Strasbourg (France) It's difficult to find motivation and informations about your contry... :oops:

To make a good scenery you need a good .trn file and good aérial photos.. I don't have the skill or competences to made my own terragen.. Unfortunately I don't find good Photos , so I have stop for now the this area .

Patrice

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks I will certainly have a look at it! Good aerial photos are available from our survey offices BUT they are HUGE the complete area normally flown (about 400x400km+) is 100gigs worth of files!!!! Very daunting prospect to sort through that lot!!! Unfortunately they do not offer lower res mosaics which would be of more use for scenery.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Making some progress, flown in the 'ghost' world and am wrapping my head around terragen. Many hours painstaking stitching of Jpegs to create overall coverage map thing - almost there (Google Earth is not the way to go!!!!)

Finally tracked down the plugins for Terragen and am set for the next phase. Finding the plugins and TG Ulib thing was a pain! Please include links to these in the CST folder - Condor developer dudes? Geocities is long gone along with S. OMally's page

Question is it possible to create more coverage maps similar to forests - I would like to make bush distribution maps as well as bush shaped objects - no idea how? Sketch up? Everything here is bush but only limited areas of forest

pstrzel

Postby pstrzel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm

GregHart1965 wrote:Thanks I will certainly have a look at it! Good aerial photos are available from our survey offices BUT they are HUGE the complete area normally flown (about 400x400km+) is 100gigs worth of files!!!! Very daunting prospect to sort through that lot!!! Unfortunately they do not offer lower res mosaics which would be of more use for scenery.

100 GB is not that much. Don't let that stop you from pursuing a nice HD scenery. I downloaded 250 GB for my project. After downloading, the GDAL command line tools make it a fairly simple process with most of the work done in the background by the CPU over a period of hours or couple of days. All this assumes that the files are georeferenced (gTIFF, MrSID).

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Yeah Im just starting small I suppose - not too much time free at the moment. Luckily I can just pop down to the Survey office which is in the next suburb and get the files directly from them so don't have to use internet. My challenge would be finding a friend with a strong gaming computer to handle the tile generation as Im on a small laptop. Just had brief look at the amazing PDF tutorial on HD scenery last night, excellent publication!! I will definitely pursue an HD version after this first effort when Im more familiar with the software and have more time on my hands.

But first I need to actually get out to a real airfield and start the real learning process! Cant wait!

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:50 pm

So Ive managed to get a texture of sorts onto the landscape. I couldn't get the SOPack 'Image overlay' to mask the area I wanted so ended up exporting a bitmap of the plain Terragen textures and then adding my orthographic photo images underneath and erasing the Terragen textures that were covering the area of the dam and town/farmlands. I originally did this at 512x512 and on one tile only. When importing the textures in Landscape editor the bitmap covered more than the area it should - Is this because I only rendered one tile? Or do the bitmap textures have to be at 256x256? In which case how do you get any detail in?

Maybe it needs 3x3 texture tiles to position properly? The confusion is setting in again after the high note of getting some colour actually onto the landscape. Can I render at much higher res and import straight to Landscape editor provided I do 3x3 tile textures to locate them?

The result was very low res and all ground images from the ortho photo are pixelated and blurred out due to rendering at 256x256 - hmmmm more studying to do!!!

Heres what looks like so far

vic peak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GregHart1965 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GregHart1965

Postby GregHart1965 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 pm

This a close up of the scene

close up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capricorne

Postby Capricorne » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Here a "remember " of pictures size in Condor.

Minimal size for a scenery is 3x3 Terragen.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16570

Patrice

Return to “Scenery”