Scenery: Hawaii

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR, ASH33M

Serginho

Scenery: Hawaii

Postby Serginho » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:11 am

Hello guys.
I would like to report that i had started collecting data to build the Hawaii scenery for Condor.

Here is a nice site where you can know more about soaring there:
www.honolulusoaring.com

Ive checked closer the landscape using GoogleEarth and it looks good for some ridge and...Maybe Hawaii can give us more than just wet waves? :)
Last edited by Serginho on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

ASH33M

Postby ASH33M » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:19 am

Serginho,

Look a good project.

Serginho

Postby Serginho » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:46 am

Hi ASH, thanks.

I changed my mind after last night when you were helping me to get the other project going. But that other one is not worth it if not complete and huge as u noticed so your sugestion to start a first scenery project using a smaller area, brought me the idea of making the Hawaii.

Personaly, i love islands, Hawaii, Caribe, etc... So i will really enjoy in making this scenery as best as possible.

Will need ur help anytime soon! :wink:
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

Serginho

Postby Serginho » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Im having problem when loading the Hawaii on the 3dem. It acuses lack of memory when loading up the whole scenery.

At the moment, due to hardware limitation maybe i will have to limit the first Hawaii project to a few islands only.
But after i get new hardware i plan to update to a complete scenery. Is it possible and would work ok with minor problems in case a update patch is released for public download later to add the missing islands?

I hate this idea but i dont think i have a choice by now...

Funny is that on my first project, 3dem loaded up to 50 tiles and this one acuses lack of memory when trying to load just 10 tiles.
I rebooted the PC and tried many times but didnt work. Any tip?

The whole scenery is planned but only the area inside the red square is what i can work out now if i cant get around this problem:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markjt

Postby markjt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:54 pm

I did a passenger ride in one of the 3-seaters on the ridge in photo 1 in 1991.... wild.

A very tight squeeze in the back for 2 full-size adults. Best to go with a good friend :)

Gliderrides operates out of the airfield in photos 3 and 5. It's on the north-west corner of Oahu.

Mark
Reg-#: G-1956
Comp-#: MT

ASH33M

Postby ASH33M » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:22 am

Serginho,

Could you please give some details of your system CPU, RAM, graphics card.

How many 1x1 degree hgt tiles are you trying to open, if your using 3dem version 19.0 this maybe part why your having some problems.

Could you also list the hgt tiles that yuor using and I will see if I come up with the same problems.

It will be possible to create your scenery containing all or most of the islands, but there is a work aorund with some of the problems that you may have.

Serginho

Postby Serginho » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:40 am

Hi guys.

Im sorry to say that i will cancel this project until further notice.

The cause is that i was unable to load the whole Hawaii scenery into 3dem. ASH33M also tried at his computer and did not have success.

We are not sure about what caused the problem and the only solution was to reduce the scenery size. This meant that some parts of Hawaii should be left out:
The bigger "volcano"Hawaii island and other 2 islands of west part.

I must admit i was not completely happy with this situation.
One thing is modeling a continental area that obviously cant be reproduced entirely. Other thing is modeling a bunch of islands. In this case, having to ignore an important part of this project makes me think its not worth it. But then its just my opinion.

So... i give up.

The good side is that i already started working on the next project: Andes.

But this is for another topic :)

ASH33M

Postby ASH33M » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:02 am

I will still look into why this has happened.

desktopsimmer

Postby desktopsimmer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:43 am

have you tried loading one tile at a time and saving it as DEM file then stitching (openning) those together? I had to do that with something I'm working on (paused as other matters are in the way)

desktopsimmer

Postby desktopsimmer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:11 am

ah, some of the data has rather large holes in it. I'll re download them to see if they have been updated. Yes I have downloaded 75% of the world :)

Edit hole data shown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by desktopsimmer on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serginho

Postby Serginho » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Hey Desktop, very weird looking holes.

ASH33M

Postby ASH33M » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:35 pm

Even when the voids are removed there is no difference, it looks like that the hgt tiles have not been updated.

ML

Postby ML » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Hello,

about the lack of memory error: I have experienced the same. It actually did not depend on the size of the scenery I wanted to load into 3dem. Somehow certain tiles with different longditudes were not compatible (although they had the same format/projection). In my case it helped to move the whole scenery sector gradually to the east. After some moving it was possible to load the terrain into 3dem.

However the terrain sector was a different one. So, it might not be possible to have the certain islands you like to have combined in one scenery.

Hope you still continue on the Hawaii scenery some time (although the Andes are very nice, too).

Good luck,
ML

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Postby flying.islander » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:17 am

I'm probably dumb for thinking of taking on this project... but I've been thinking about making scenery for Hawaii for awhile, but haven't done much research on making scenery for Condor until today.

I know this thread is old, and some of my questions don't relate specifically to this thread either... but oh well...

First of all, I also had memory problems loading all the major islands of Hawaii at once. I could pretty much get everything from the tiny island of Kaula in the west, all the way east to include all but a sliver of Maui... Leaving the big island of Hawaii itself seperate. I tried saving the two areas as DEMs and BINs and stitching the two sections together but no luck.

I have 4GB of RAM, but with my XP Pro 32-bit and massive 768Mb GPU (and other peripherals of course), I'm left with only 2.75GB of addressable RAM.

What I'd like to know is what ML meant about moving "the whole scenery sector gradually to the east"? How in the world do you do that?

Then again, that's probably irrelevant... As I was reading through all the heartache and headaches in this scenery forum, I noticed that Condor only handles 90m resolution terrain mesh? Though I did see BOD1's post at thread http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=9064that he was able to emulate 45m terrain... at least that's what I think he was saying--as it went mostly above my head, and made me wonder if I'm really cut out to try to make scenery.

Anyway, I downloaded the 90m resolution SRTM3 instead, and have no problem with memory issues for the entire Hawaiin chain at that low resolution... including the tiny rocks thousands of miles away from Honolulu, which I don't think I'll bother to include... unless Plane Pack 2 will include a fantasy amphibious sailplane... you know... one that will land on water, raise one wing to use as a sail, while the other wing acts as an outrigger (with floats on the end of course). Then again, Johnston Atoll is pretty cool... Kind of like a "natural" aircraft carrier.... with a nice beach to get a tan. I suppose a task flown from there would be a competition to see who could fly the most patterns before having to land. (As it's 820 miles from Pearl Harbor).

The other question I have is about 3DEM Terrain Visualization patching abilities... As illustrated earlier in this thread... there's some big holes in the data here. 3DEM seems to patch them up pretty nicely (from a distance)--I have no idea how it does it--some kind of interpolation or magic... I dunno... In any case, I doubt the results are that accurate, and I am wondering if there is a way to tweak terrain mesh manually? I'm sure there must be... but don't have a clue how. Is that something that can be done with CST? In any case, I'm sure with 90m resolution, hills, ridges, and peaks will appear to be rounder and lower and shallower than in reality, so it would be nice to manually manipulate those areas.

Also is there a way to zoom in with 3DEM Terrain Visualization and then zoom back out to the overall map? I tried reading the help pdf, and it didn't seem to discuss that ability--then again, I didn't read the entire thing.

In summary:
1) Do I stick with 90m resolution?
2) How do I manually adjust the terrain mesh?
3) How do I zoom in and out of 3DEM, or should I even care? (*EDIT* I think I figured out how--though very clumsy)
4) Oh, and when I try to convert to UTM projection, I get a message saying that area is too large, and will use Sinusoidal projection instead. Is this a problem? (I've tried cropping out everything west of Oahu, to give a map area of 384km x 310km and I still get the same message).

*EDIT*
I found that with the RAW to TRN converter, the maximum area limits me to less than half of the main island if I include Oahu at the west edge. I thought we could have at least 512kmx512km? And even more: http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=2...

"For practical reasons, the size limit of terrain is 512x512km. However larger terrains could also be used. Normal terrain size is 320x256km.
When working with terrain mesh, keep in mind that the size must be dividable by 64. "

Am I just simply doing something wrong? It's a real shame not to get the main island in. Perhaps this is what Serginho ultimately discovered... not just memory issues. I guess the main island could deserve a map unto it's own. Probably not likely that anyone could soar from the main island to any of the others anyway. I wonder if ships are ever known for starting thermals? :P

In any case, by cutting out the main island completely, so that the map only stretches from Oahu to Maui, I can get the UTM projection to work. :roll: (see attached image)
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

David R

Postby David R » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 pm

I have had Oahu on the back of my list of scenery projects. I wanted to do it in HD version. I thouht it would intrest a lot of people to pratice with condor before they went to Hawaii and flew out of Dillingham. Because of the shape of the islands themselves they are not very interesting for soaring. Outside of Oahu and Molokai they are pretty much just large cones and the distance between islands are so great that you could never glide between them. If you are really interested in Hawaii I would suggest that you try doing just Oahu. If this is your first scenery try it in a 2048x2048 format. You might find that challenging enough for a first scenery. Once you have that finished you can go back and attempt a photorealistic version in say 8192x8192. I think a HD verison of Oahu could be very popular. I don't think you will find Hawaii as a whole very interesting for soaring.

Return to “Scenery”